By: Joe Cardoso
And just like that folks, 2019 is GONE! It was a year full of great new artists, the return of old favorites. One thing is f, or sure at no point did we NOT have some fresh music to get us turned up or through tough times. With groups and solo acts like Da Ba, Camila Cabello, Megan Thee Stallion, Jonas Brothers, and Griselda.
2019 provided a little of everything in terms of music, and the lines of different genres have blurred even more and created some fantastic collaborations. Whoever thought they would hear a song about riding a horse and Billy Ray Cyrus on it? New sounds like that are why I had a super hard time making my list. If you have read my work before then you know I am a fan of EVERYTHING except country, sorry America I just can’t do it. With that being said, let’s jump into my top 30 songs of the year!
29. Selena Gomez “Lose You To Love Me”
- Brittany Howard “Stay High”
- J Balvin and Bad Bunny “La Cancion”
- Ari Lennox “BMO”
- Anderson .Paak “King James”
- The Jonas Brothers “Sucker
- Offset Ft. Cardi B “Clout”
- Logic Ft. Eminem “Homicide”
- Chris Brown Ft. Drake “No Guidance”
- Summer Walker “CLEAR”
- Sofia Reyes Ft. Rita Ora “R.I.P”
- The Murder Capital “For Everything”
- Little Brother “Right On Time”
- Benny The Butcher & Black Thought “Crown For Kings”
- The Chemical Brothers “Got To Keep On”
- Dreamville “Down Bad”
- Goldlink Ft. Khalid “Days Like This”
- Snoh Aalegra “I Want You Around”
- Anderson .Paak Ft. Brady “Jet Black”
- Halsey “Graveyard”
A banger from start to finish. The beat the voice I am a big fan of Halsey and expect more hits in 2020.
- NF “The Search”
I started to listen to this kid middle of 2018, and he is SUPER underrated. On some level, we can all relate to his lyrics, and he beat selection is improving every album. In this era of social media and mental health, NF gets it.
- Griselda “Old Groove ft. Novel”
MAN LISTEN!! If you grew up in the late 90’s early 2000’s this is for you! Griselda is a throwback group and movement the dirty, spooky beats and dark tales of street life. I LOVE the production, and the whole vibe takes me back.
- Gang Starr Ft. J Cole “Family and Loyalty”
To hear new music from Gang Starr in 2019 is like finding a raw uncut diamond. One of the best hip-hop groups ever RIP Guru.
- Lil Nas X Ft. Billy Ray Cyrus “Old Town Road”
Try as I did I could not deny just how catchy this song was and still is. Nas X has his lane and does what he does very well. Horses in the back lol.
- J. Cole “Middle Child”
It’s to the point that like all the greats, we beg for new Cole music often, and he always seems to bring it. The opening verse is flames. Dripping in real talk.
- Logic X HitRecords “Do What You Love”
If you have not seen the mini-movie on how this song came together, then I highly suggest you get on it! Just like 95% of Nippy Hustles music, I call this entrepreneur theme music. Feeling stuck or down and out? Click the link and turn it up Lord knows I did all year, and won’t stop any time soon.
- Rapsody Ft. D’Angelo and GZA “IBTIHAJ”
She is not just the BEST female emcee out right now, she is top ten overall, and her latest album proves it. No one is making music like she is and doing it without all the cheap gimmicks.
- Mustard Ft. Roddy Ricch “Ballin”
Who doesn’t like a good come up track? The vibe is one of being your own biggest cheerleader and celebrate where you’ve come from. More pop than hip-hop, but either way, it’s a good one from Mustard.
- J. Cole, Da Baby, and Lute “Dreamville”
Try as you may, the groove of this song was relentless, and it has to be the best verse Da Baby has ever had. With talents like these 3, Little Brother, and Rapsody, it is clear North Carolina has some talent.
1A. The Chainsmokers with Kygo “Family” Hits you right in the chest and the video does it even more. Lyrics matter!
What will 2020 give us in terms of Music? Who will release a classic album or single? And what next great artist is reading this and still waiting to blow up? I can’t wait to see what songs will be on heavy rotation on my playlist. Happy New Year, music lovers. And remember to turn the music up LOUD!