By: Joe Cardoso
2018 was an amazing year for music and the funny thing is that as I write this article I’m sure another blazing album or single will drop. Took me 2 weeks to really narrow this down to my personal top 30 and I still feel like I left some gold on the edit room floor. My taste is all over the place I would say my music taste goes from a drug dealer looking for one last big payday to a heartbroken 8th-grade girl who hates her parents. Some of the standouts for me were Camila Cabello who is just great and proves that you can keep your clothes on and be a star. Nipsey Hussle Victory Lab is bonkers, Pusha T, J Cole and Cardi B. I have no shame in being a big pop music fan and also EDM. I will say I started wanting to rank all the tracks but that was too hard so I decided to just list the top 30 and here it is. 2018 was lit can 2019 keep things going?
30. Bloc Boy Feat. Drake “Look Alive”
29. Florence + Machine “Hunger”
28. Rae Sremmurd Feat Juicy J “Powerglide”
27. Migos “Stir Fry”
26. Halsey “Without Me”
25. THE CARTERS “NICE”
24. Calvin Harris And Dua Lipa “One Kiss”
23. Zedd, Maren Morris and Grey “The Middle”
22. Janelle Monae “Make Me Feel”
21. Sheck Wes “Wanted”
20. Logic “Wu-Tang Forever
19. Kali Uchis “Tyrant”
18. J. Cole “1985 (DJ Premier 1966 Remix)
17. Kendrick Lamar and. SZA “All The Stars”
16. SZA “Broken Clocks”
15. Machine Gun Kelly “Rap Devil”
14. Anderson.Paak Feat Kendrick Lamar “Tints”
13. Teyana Taylor Feat. Ghostface Killah, Method Man & Raekwon “Gonna Love Me Remix”
12. Joey Purp “Bag Talk”
11. Meek Mill Feat Cardi B “On Me”
10. THE CARTERS “Ape Sh*T”-Ths song bangs period! From the opening beat and then add B dropping lyrics better than her husband it just set the year off for me. I’m not the only one hoping she drops a hip-hop album.
9. Jessie Reyez “Body Count”- First heard of Jessie on an Eminem feature and her voice is different than anything else out right now. This song is DOPE she pulls no punches and spits the real.
8. Pusha T “If You Know You Know” –Where to start? It’s classic Pusha storytelling and all over one of the best beats Kayne West has had in a while. “The company I keep is not corporate enough” PUSH!
7. Leon Bridges “Bad Bad News”- One of those songs that come on and you just have to move. Old school feels with a new school twist.
6. Camila Cabello “Havanna”- For me, she had the album of the year and this song set it off. The video was a throwback to when we watched them and artist made mini movies.
5. Meek Mill Feat Rick Ross, Jay Z “What Free”- A last minute. Entry into the 2018 awesomeness Meeks first project since being out of jail is good and for me this track is fire. Rick Ross has one of his best verses in a looooong time and Jay Z STILL has me and the rest of the internet replaying the track to find even more hidden meanings.
4. Travis Scott Feat Drake “Sicko Mode”- I don’t care who you are when the beat switches up we all popped a zan and went out like a light.
3. Camila Cabello “Never Be The Same”- Catchy hook, the beat is ill and so is her voice Nuff said.
2. Drake “God’s Plan”- Not to sound corny but I’ll say it, in a time when all we see mostly is negative and scary carp online and TV this dude took a ton of money and changed lives. He also chooses a beat that won’t quit and was on everyone’s gym playlist and still is.
1. Childish Gambino “This Is America”- All I will say is this is the song we needed at the right time.
1B. Nipsey Hussle Feat The Dream “Million While You Young”- My favorite track from his best album to date.
What was the 2018 soundtrack for you? Let’s get the debate cracking! Follow the blog @SideSpinMedia and me @JoeCardoso301 and as always turn the music up LOUD!