The Democrats won the house in the 2018 midterm elections. Before last night’s election the blue party wasn’t even on the field. They didn’t hit a home run, but they hit a double. They are closer to home than they were for the past 8 years. With results still coming in, The Democrats took 27 seats in the House. They now outnumbers the republicans 221 to 198. There were several positives about this election.
- Popular vote in the House. Democrats 51% (50,225,460).
- Popular vote in the House. Republicans 47.3% (46,539,984).
- Popular vote in the Senate. Democrats 56.6% (44,638,718).
- Popular vote in the Senate. Republicans 41.7% (32,890,821).
- 27 of NRA backed candidates lost. That is the most ever.
- Democrats went 7 for 8 in Senate and Governors races in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. All states Trump won in 2016.
- Kris Kobach, Mr. “Suppress the Vote” and Dana Rohrabacher “Mr. Russia,” lost.
- By historical standards this was a “Blue Wave.” Democrats won the popular vote by over 9.2 million votes.
- More than 100 Women are now in congress.
- Intelligence Chair: Adam Schiff
- Judiciary Chair: Jerry Nadler
- Oversight Chair: Elijah Cummings
- Financial Services Chair: Maxine Waters
Things we need to work on:
- Democrats should hire someone to replace ALL voting machines. Paper ballots are the way to go. The Republicans continue to purge voters, continue to suppress the vote and in a lot of cases change the votes after they have been cast. I am supposed to think that racist, Ron Desantis, got 18% of the black women vote? Hell no. Brian Kemp who purged over 400,000 votes is only ahead by 95,000 votes against Stacy Abrams.
- Make voting a national holiday, so all can vote.
- Investigate Trump with everything you have. Republicans spent millions of dollars on Hillary Clinton and Benghazi. They had dozens of hearings and found nothing.
- Democrats must have hearing on Russia, Emoluments Clause, and Trumps tax returns.
- Adam Schiff must treat the Trump Crime Family like Republicans did Hillary Clinton.
- Raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour and establish affordable health care for all.
- Protect medicaid, medicare and our environment.
- Protect women and the LGBTQ Community and all their rights.
Democrats must not run from progressives but embrace them.
The 2018 mid-terms were a step in the right direction.
Democracy is not dead, it is alive and well but it needs our attention every day.
Follow the Sports Whisperer on Twitter: MonteJP231